Saturday, February 14, 2009

In Honor of V-Day, or, U R 2 Sweet 4 Me!

Yes! I have succumbed to this cynical mid-winter marketing ploy beloved by florists and cardstock creators! Here is a playlist, please to enjoy:



In order:
  • I may not know you yet, but can't wait to get "acquainted!" And by "acquainted" I mean "bizz-ay!" "Minnat Kare" from Paheli, in which a dreamy Rani asks her playful friends and family for advice on how to treat her husband on their wedding night.
  • I've never met you, but know I will soon (preferably while running braless to catch a train and your eye): "Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye" from DDLJ. Gorgeous Kajol cavorts in the rain, singing that "He who comes into my dreams to tease me - I'll tell him to come around some time." (Oddly enough, the best copy I could find has Spanish subtitles. But if you're curious you can read the translated lyrics here.)
  • I don't know you and don't want to, but I'll bang you in an elevator (though not how you think): "Yeh Mera Dil" from Don: The Chase Begins Again. Farah Khan, if you're not on Kareena's black list for this fiasco, I don't know what will send you there. Poor doomed Kamini tries to distract Don from the impending police raid, with mixed results.
  • I don't know you but my love for you is pure and train-dance worthy: "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from Dil Se, of course. Amar's conversed with Meghna for all of fifteen seconds, but it's still worth risking his life.
  • I don't know you so I'll tell you a great big whopper about my "engagement:" "Kiss of Love" from Jhoom Barabar Jhoom. Don't worry, the words aren't all that important.
  • I know you, but I didn't figure out I love you till it was too late (or until I learned to wear make-up): "Tujhe Yaad Na Meri Aaye" from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Ooooh, poor Kajol. My husband always whimpers in sympathy during this scene.
  • I knew you for a week twenty years ago, and that was a lot more fun than this court case: "Yeh Hum Aa Gaye Hain Kahaan," the deleted song from Veer-Zaara. SRK and Preity frolic in the mountains, representing the old-school.
  • I know you well enough to know that you're not impervious to love: "Jaane Kyon" from Dil Chahta Hai. Shalini teases Akash, trying to get him to admit love isn't all a losing proposition.
  • I haven't seen your face in 10 years but I'll let you love me anyway: "Woh Chand Jaise Ladki," from Devdas. He does see her face only by moonlight for the first time, but it doesn't do them much good in the end.
  • I don't know you, so let's... get... to know... each other? Radical concept! "Appudo Ippudo" from Bommarillu shows Hasini and Siddhu getting to know each other before making a lifetime commitment! It's craziness, kids!
Coming up next week: 36 China Town's review and a new Adventures in YouTube post! See, I have not abandoned my blog or even delayed its opening a bazillion times a la Paathshala!

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm... I miss being in India - Valentines is just sooooo colorful and BIG there! And then again, maybe not, because it seems to bring out the worst in some other quarters.

    Your comments on the songs are hilarious! Getting to know each other before actually deciding to marry does seem such a radical concept, at least in the light of Bollywood. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post. Was particularly ROTFL at the categorizations of the songs from DDLJ and Don! Well done on them all. You keep it real, Ajnabi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i Luuuuuuv 'woh chand jaisi ladki' <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I have made my list too, how you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna be your back up dancer in your next starring role in a Bollywood romance:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaww, very thoughtful post! I haven't been that thoughtful lately so....

    ReplyDelete
  7. bollyviewer: Oo, which quarters? Would I like those quarters? LOL Thanks for the compliment; one of the reasons my appreciation for Bommarillu has grown since I wrote my review is because of the time Hasini and Siddhu take to know each other.

    TBF: Thanks, and thanks for linking to me! :-D

    Darshit: That moment is one of the Practically Perfect In Every Way segments of film that I could watch over and over again. I love your list--S-E-L are my favorites!

    M'Ellen: O, you silly, don't you know that all casting is through relationship in Hindi movies? You'll be my goofy sidekick at least! LOL

    Nicki: I disagree, your latest post is very thoughtful indeed. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you believe in V day?.I don't find any reason behind it.Anyway thanks for sharing the play list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saheli: I'm strongly in favor of any holiday that involves my husband feeding me chocolate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about Nahin Saamne from Taal? I love all the songs from Paheli :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bhargav: I feel the same way about the Paheli soundtrack; it's very near perfection. And the Taal soundtrack approaches the same standard; I love Nahin Saamne.

    ReplyDelete

Spam, trolling, and messages in non-Roman characters will be deleted. Otherwise, have at it!