Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chameli, or, That's Just What Life Is, Sahib

Memory-Chameli

Chameli
doesn't slip easily into a category. It's probably not arthouse, embracing conventional crowd-pleasers like songs, item numbers, the tired trope of hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold, and of course highly bankable Kareena Kapoor in the title role. On the other hand, it's not exactly everyday Hindi cinema fare either. For one thing, it's short: 90 minutes. For another, it has this guy:


Arguably king of the Indian indie, Rahul Bose. And finally, it has extremely natural performances, and very real-life conflicts and encounters.

Aman (Rahul) is throwing a party, probably for business reasons, at the film's opening. Rain comes pouring down, and his demeanor instantly changes from cordial to withdrawn. He takes off driving in the storm. Unfortunately for him--or maybe fortunately, considering how it turns out--Aman's car engine floods at Flora Fountain, and he finds himself stranded with no one but a hooker for company. The two meet when she offers him a match for his cigarette.


The prostitute, Chameli, has far more serious problems than a flooded engine. She owes money to a bad man, and her pimp has set up an appointment for her with a sick bastard who's been known to leave his girls in the hospital. The goons who work for the guy are after her from the beginning of the film. I love the look on Kareena's face when she hears them calling for her at her house:


You can see that despite her brave talk about being "no one's bitch," she knows that she's probably only delaying the inevitable by running and hiding. The battle between sick fear and resignation hasn't quite been won in her expression.


As the night progresses, Chameli and Aman get to know each other. Aman finds himself caring for Chameli almost against his will (and certainly against all the off-putting behavior she can exhibit to prevent such a thing). Their lives become intertwined, and are bettered in the end.

Chameli's DVD cover features a full-face shot of Kareena, with Rahul behind her and in profile. That's pretty accurate advertising for the film's dynamics as well. Chameli is a chatterbox, using words as both weapon and shield against the world's dangers and denigration. I'm so impressed with Kareena's acting: her voice, body language, and facial expressions have been stripped of filmi heroine conventions. She becomes Chameli with total conviction. Of course, I'm not alone in that; she got rave reviews for her performance from far more qualified reviewers than I.


Then again, I'm tempted to argue that Rahul has an equally challenging job as Aman. For the vast majority of the film, he's completely reacting to the action around him rather than instigating a thing. He's out of his depth, he knows it, he's in pain from past trauma, and he's not sure what to do. The man who is paid a ludicrous amount of money to talk to powerful people is left practically speechless by the events of this single night. He's as removed from the realities of poverty as most men of his station. Despite that, Rahul manages to convey grace and compassion, as well as show us Aman's growth as a character, through very little dialogue.

The production values are odd. The first half of the film is practically claustrophobic, occurring almost entirely in the shelter of the fountain. The lighting and costuming seem to signal gritty reality rather than filmi imagery. Then again, the storm's lightning is completely unconvincing and stagey, plus we have the heroine drenched in rain while twirling around with chance-met strangers who seem a dull backdrop to her colorful nature.

I love the songs, though there are only four. I find it interesting that two of them are item numbers: "Thaki Thaki," featuring Anupama Verma, and "Sajna Ve Sajna," which features Mahek Chahal. In a movie about a woman who sells sex for a living, Sudhir Mishra refuses to exploit her with the camera. However, he seems to have no problem doing so with the two women selling the illusion of sex: every shot focuses on yet another gyrating body part, and the moves in "Thaki Thaki" are provocative to say the least. One can't help but wonder if he's making us all out to be johns since we paid money for the display.

In the end, I can't decide into what category, if any, to put Chameli, but I do know this: it's worth every penny. Check it out if you haven't yet.

14 comments:

  1. Okay, you've convinced me, yet again. I need to see this movie, too. I've been trying to find another Kareena movie where I won't hate her (didn't in JWB & Omkara), and I haven't seen any of Rahul Bose though many people say he's fantastic.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love me some Kareena. I'm glad you liked this. I own it, but haven't seen it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This went into my DVD collection. One of the very few movies where Kareena is likeable. And Rahul Bose was awesome. One of his best after Mr. & Mrs. Iyer.

    Neha

    ReplyDelete
  4. shes so good when she wants to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my to-find-and-see list for a long time - dunno why I havent done anything about it. Kareena in non-masala mode is just as fab as she is in JWM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rhilex: If you see it, I don't think you'll regret it. I think it's high quality.

    Nida: I'm glad you're back! Be sure to post a review when you do see it!

    Neha: Kareena was my main draw to the movie (I'm a fan of her acting) but I ended it with a serious crush on Rahul. Since Konkona's in Mr. and Mrs. Iyer I'm going to have to look it up soon.

    JJC: Yeah, or when she has a director who inspires her.

    bollyviewer: I'd love to read your take on it if/when you do get around to watching it. I think it's some of Kareena's best work after Omkara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bebo is phenomenal!

    And if you like this one, you'll love Mr. and Mrs. Iyer - Rahul is sooooooo dreamy in it. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lent this to someone who never returned it *sad*

    But I remember I liked it a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Filmi Girl: She is! She's not my favorite (that's Preity) but she's in my top five. I think she's amazing. And hooray for Mr. & Mrs. Iyer!

    Memsaab: I think they need to be hunted down! LOL I think it's a great movie--one reason I avoided it for a while was because I was afraid it'd have the typical arthouse ending involving death and despair... but it's way too hopeful for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @filmi girl : Yeah, Mr and Mrs Iyer is another fab movie by Rahul Bose+Konkona. He indeed is king of Indie. But Abhay is gonna take his place soon. I always look fwd to Rahul's movies. Have you seen him in Jhankaar Beats or Pyar Ke side Effects?? He is totally opposite than this yet fantastic.

    This movie is my favorite simply because of Bebo and fabulous soundtrack. Do listen to all songs from OST, Sandesh Shandilya is such an underrated musician. Bebo's getup and accent and even body language was so perfect. This was her one of the best performances, agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great film, great post! I really enjoyed reading your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darshit: I'll have to check out the soundtrack, too! I agree with you, her body language was fab--I can't tell about the costuming & accent but I'll take your word for it. :-)

    Magdalena: Hi! Thanks for dropping in--and for your compliment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. check out antaheen and anuranon - bengali movies - of rahul bose to see what an awesome actor he is...just fabulous..i am in love with him!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smita, are they depressing like most bengali movies? Because I need to know these things in advance. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spam, trolling, and messages in non-Roman characters will be deleted. Otherwise, have at it!